Take The Fear Out Of Your Dental Visit With Sedation Dentistry
Created on June 15, 2016
If you are one of the millions of people who cringe at the very thought of a visit to the dentist…for whatever reason…relax. At Taylor Street Dental, we specialize in calming your fear and anxiety with Relaxation Sedation Dentistry – the use of medication to relax our patients during dental procedures.
Nitrous oxide – inhaled minimal sedation – is one of the methods of relaxation sedation dentistry we use. Also known as “laughing gas,” it’s a safe way to calm your dental fears.
Here are six good things to know about sedation dentistry with nitrous oxide:
- Nitrous oxide is a colorless gas with a sweet odor that is prepared by heating ammonium nitrate. As a dental sedation, it produces exhilaration or anesthesia when mixed with oxygen and inhaled through a small mask that fits over the nose.
- Nitrous oxide can make procedures that take hours seem like minutes, even though you are completely awake and conscious. When the effects wear off, you will not remember the sights, sounds and smells of your visit.
- Nitrous oxide does not put you to sleep. During your dental procedure, you will be able to hear and respond to any requests or directions your dentist may have.
- You will breathe normally through your nose, and within a few minutes you should start to feel the calming, soothing effects of the nitrous oxide.
- You may feel a tingling in your legs and arms or they may feel heavy, and you may feel a bit light-headed, but you should also feel calm and comfortable.
- Nitrous oxide wears off soon after your dental procedure is complete and the mask is removed.
At your initial visit, we will go over your medical history, including any medications you are taking, to ensure that you are an appropriate candidate for sedation dentistry.
Fear not! Call to schedule an appointment today: (413) 781-7645.