How do I get rid of bad breath?
Created on May 30, 2022
If you are one of the millions of people who suffer from bad breath, you know how embarrassing and frustrating it can be. You may have tried all sorts of home remedies with no success. If you have halitosis (the medical term for bad breath), don’t worry–you are not alone! The dentists of Taylor Street Dental in Springfield, MA are here to help you with some dentist-recommended solutions for dealing with bad breath.
What is halitosis?
Halitosis is bad breath that originates from the mouth. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including poor oral hygiene, plaque and tartar build-up on teeth, gum disease, dry mouth, food particles stuck in between teeth or braces, and even certain medications.
How can my dentist help me?
If you are experiencing halitosis, your dentist can help you determine the cause and recommend the best solution. Depending on the underlying cause of your bad breath, your dentist may prescribe an appropriate treatment plan, such as:
- improved oral hygiene habits (brushing and flossing twice a day)
- daily use of a fluoride toothpaste
- professional dental cleanings and exams every six months
- treatment for gum disease
- treatment for dry mouth
- teeth whitening
- medication adjustment if necessary
How can I prevent halitosis?
There are several things you can do to help prevent bad breath, including:
- brushing and flossing your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
- using interdental cleaners (such as floss or Picks) to remove food particles from between your teeth
- rinsing your mouth with water after meals and snacks
- avoiding tobacco products and alcohols Mouthwash is not a substitute for brushing and flossing
Speak to a professional today about your needs
If you struggle with chronic bad breath, it might be time to book an appointment with a dental professional in Springfield, MA. Call Taylor Street Dental at (413) 781-7645 and visit the office at 41 Taylor Street Fourth Floor to discuss your dental needs with a dentist who can provide reliable solutions.