Flossing – Just Do It!
Created on April 30, 2016
After years of education about the benefits of flossing, many people still do not floss. Whitening and bleaching are popular, along with straightening and veneers. There are many mouthwash choices on the market…clearly, people seem to want whiter, straighter teeth and fresher breath. But it seems they continue to resist one of the best ways to ensure healthy teeth and gums.
It’s thought that dental floss was invented many years ago by an American dentist who required his patients to clean between their teeth with silk thread. So, silk dental floss was manufactured in the late 1880’s. But by the 1940’s, nylon thread had replaced silk, and waxed floss was introduced. Today, there is a wide variety of flossing options at your fingertips.
If you are a non-flosser, here are a few reasons why you should begin to make flossing a daily habit:
- Making flossing a daily habit not only keeps your teeth healthy but it contributes to good dental hygiene which is an essential part of your overall health.
- Daily flossing removes plaque, which also helps prevent gum disease.
- When plaque is attacked by flossing, harmful bacteria is eliminated and cannot find its way to other parts of your body.
- Flossing shouldn’t hurt. If it does, you haven’t been flossing regularly.
- Daily flossing encourages sweeter, fresher breath.
- Flossing strengthens your gums which helps prevent gum disease and tooth loss.
- Flossing reaches areas and protects your back teeth where most tooth decay and gum disease occur.
If it’s been awhile since you’ve had a dental cleaning, call to schedule an appointment and begin to make flossing a healthy, daily habit: (413) 241-3264.